While it is relatively easy to buy property in Mexico, the purchase and sales process is very different from what you have experienced in the US, Canada, or elsewhere. Choosing the right broker or agent to guide you through the process will be your most important first step.
Listed below are the most important qualifications and skills for you to consider when choosing an agent or broker to represent you when buying or selling property in Puerto Vallarta:
- Industry Standing with Knowledge and Experience. As there is no official governing authority that regulates real estate in Mexico, it is crucial that you ensure your agent is a standing member of AMPI and has demonstrated their experience and knowledge in our local real estate market.
- Integrity, Trustworthiness and Credibility. You will want to work with an agent who is honest in what they present to you and in how they represent you throughout the property transaction process.
- Area Knowledge and Insights. With a wide range of properties and areas to choose from it is important that your agent is fully knowledgeable about all the neighborhoods and areas throughout the Bay. This expertise will help you choose the property that will be right for you
- Understanding of Spanish and Mexican Culture. Foreign country = different language and different culture. Your broker or agent will navigate these differences for you so be sure they are well versed in both
- Industry Professionals Referrals. Whether buying or selling, you will find there are a few more key players involved in real estate transactions in Mexico – notaries, inspectors, attorneys, bankers, escrow companies, translators, etc. It is very important that your agent has both thoroughly vetted and has developed trusted relationships with these industry professionals and can recommend their services to you with complete confidence.
- Knowledge of Market. Your broker or agent will have access to the latest market conditions in order to offer you honest and reliable advice whether you are making an offer to purchase or looking to sell.
- Continuing Education. Rules, regulations and laws in Mexico can change at a moment’s notice and its important that the agent you choose has the latest information and updates their knowledge on a continual basis.
- Support, Communication & Ethics. It’s a big step to buy a home in and move to a foreign country so choose an agent that you have a rapport with, who will give you guidance and support, who will provide prompt and accurate communication, and above all, who conducts themselves with integrity and ethics